The five nominated titles for 2013 in the primary category are:
1. A Ball for Daisy by Raschka, Christopher (2011)
2. Blackout by Rocco, John (2011)
3. Happy Pig Day by Willems, Mo (2011)
4. I Want My Hat Back by Klassen, Jon (2011)
5. Polo and the Dragon by Faller, Regis (2009)
This week was our first week of the program and we started by reading Blackout by John Rocco. This book is a Caldecott honor book. I wonder if it will be a Golden Archer Award winner as well?
As an activity for this book, I choose to adapt an idea from It's All Good Books. The students were given a piece of night (black paper). They were to light up the night by choosing pre-cut die cut shapes and writing one sentence on each. They completed these three sentences:
The dark is _____.
I feel ______.
I wish ________.
Here are a few student workers:
I wasn't sure how kids would feel about this book but it turns out they absolutely loved it! This one might be hard to beat!
Stay tuned for the next four weeks!